I thought Apple made great software. That certainly doesn’t mean that all their products are bug free. For instance this can be considered a serious flaw.
I’m not sure whether Apple loves Windows 🙂 But when I see instances like the one mentioned below, I think Apple is not in love with Windows.
Most of the Apple users might be familiar with the above dialog box – it will show the update availability of installed software in the first part and some suggested new software in the second part. (This screenshot is taken after the following steps – so it is not showing the already installed software which do have updates.)
I had installed the Safari for Windows in my machine. The Apple updater is ON and it reminds me of available updates. I decided to install the Safari update – and installed it. And there comes the catch.
The updater downloads the update and installs it automatically. After installation, it checks for update once again. And once that second checking is over, it shows a message box as above. I would say this is a dead box – because I cannot do anything other than close this. Ofcourse, I can use the Menu bar – but it does not give me the list of New software (which I might like to try :)). All it says is New Software is available from Apple.
So how am I going to report this? The previous post described about a session with James Bach and the importance of bug reporting. Let me try my hands on this..
- Go to Start Menu and click on the Apple Updater item
- Verify the pop-up shown – it will be shown as two sections. One with the available update for the installed software and the second one with new softwares from Apple.
- Select the update option (i.e. disable the check-boxes for installing “new” Apple software) and continue with the Update
- Once the Update process is over, note the behavior of the application – it once again checks for updates and shows the pop-up with “New software is available from Apple” message.
- Note that the new software is missing in the list (which was there as explained in Step 2 above)